Sweetcorn & Chickpea Burger
A delicious vegetarian option, packed with flavour. Easy to create.
Recipe created by Shaun Moorcroft
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
1 x 340g tin of sweetcorn
1 bunch of fresh coriander
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chilli powder
100g plain flour approx..
- Drain the chickpeas and sweetcorn, then tip into a food processor. You can use a bowl and a hand blender. Pick the coriander leaves, adding ¾ of the leaves and all the stalks to the processor/bowl.
- Add the spices, 75g of flour and a pinch of salt, finely grate in the lime zest and add, then pulse/blend until combined, but not smooth – you want to retain a bit of texture.
- On a flour-dusted surface, divide and shape the mixture into 4 equal-sized patties, roughly 2cm thick. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the patties and cook for 10 minutes, or until golden and cooked through, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, click off, wash and spin-dry four nice lettuce leaves, then finely slice the tomatoes horizontally.
- Spread some Bay tree spiced apple chutney onto the base of each bun (toast them if you like), then the top of the burgers with garlic mayonnaise. Layer over a couple of slices of tomato, a lettuce leaf, a few coriander leaves. Delicious served with a fresh green salad.